Cerificate overweight

Vane or Radio if it's for A's put it here.

Moderator: Senior Admin

Terry Connell

Cerificate overweight

Postby Terry Connell » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:10 pm

Hi all, If a boat is 200 grams over the maximum permitted weight what effect does that have on legitimacy of the Certificate and boat? Example:-Minimum = 21.0,Maximum = 21.2,actual(roughly) 21.4
Thanks.

Mike Ewart

Re: Cerificate overweight

Postby Mike Ewart » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:04 pm

Hi Terry what yacht are you talking about, most of the yachts with a weight on the certificate have teir sail area determined by weight as this will increase their waterline length and thus will be out of class if overweight, there is tolerance in weight built into the boats and this will be pointed out on the class website or the class rules, so look this up
Mike Ewart

Terry Connell

Postby Terry Connell » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:27 pm

Thanks for your reply.
The boat is a Frigate No.1536 1st Measurement 17 June 2002,Builders name G Appleton,Designer G Bantock .The date of the last measurement was done by W.Green on 9th July 2015. As far as I am aware nothing has been done to the boat since that time.Because it leaked at Fleetwood,during the PRACC 2, may be it's moisture in the hull.It doesn't look to be deeper in the water so the waterline length looks correct.
So,to be sure,I'll see if there's any ballast that's easily removable and have the boat accurately weighed.
I see in the Class Rules,2.6.5, that there's a tolerance of 0.1 kg only.
Does the boat have to be weighed together with the mast and sails? The Rules say with appendages. I take them to be the keel,fin and rudder.I weighed it rigged with mast and sails.

Brad Gibson

Postby Brad Gibson » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:31 am

Hi Terry,

I think Mike has it pretty much right. To be class compliant your boat should weigh within the tolerance noted on your certificate so if your boat measured weighs 21.1kg you can be no heavier than 21.2kg and no lighter than 21.0 fully rigged in sailing trim I believe with the heaviest suit of sails on. It may be worth taking a look at the incoming rule set for the class as I read that requirements at measurement have been clearly outlined with some changes. These can be found http://www.radiosailing.org/

As to how your boat has gained weight it is quite possible a timber A class hull could take on that kind of weight if not fully sealed inside. A key to this could be if you are noticing any definition of the planking through the painted surface on the outside of the hull through swelling of the timber. If so i would air the boat out in a warm stable area for a few days and have and re- weigh. Outside of this is it possible that your scales are different to those used by the last measurer as without certified MYA checked weights throughout the districts there will always be discrepancies at measurement which has not been uncommon in the past, in some instances greater than the amounts you are out by......

Im sure a class measurer, owner or even a TC member will be along sometime soon to assist with further information/clarification.

Brad

Terry Connell

Postby Terry Connell » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:11 am

Hello Brad,
Thanks for your reply.
I've looked at the relevant pages here http://www.radiosailing.org/ and read that the complete boat is weighed,rigged, with jib boom aboard, and an allowance of 100 grams for sails.I'm going to the Eastbourne club house to use the scales there.

Terry Connell

Postby Terry Connell » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:11 pm

Hi all,
I'm very pleased to be able to say that the Frigate is legal.I've had the weight accurately measured to 21.13. So all is well.
Thanks to all for your interest and help.
Terry

Mike Ewart

Postby Mike Ewart » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:12 pm

It is suprising how much scales vary, a good check weight is a valuable tool for all modellers
Mike Ewart

Stewart Eaton

Postby Stewart Eaton » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:37 pm

Mike Ewart wrote:It is suprising how much scales vary, a good check weight is a valuable tool for all modellers

No-it is more surprising that any authority fronts up with uncalibrated balances. I've seen this many times at dinghy events. Are no measurers scientists? At the very least, a certificate of calibration to ISO17025 for the balance should be pinned up for all to see. Should cost no more than a couple of hundred pounds

Mike Ewart

Postby Mike Ewart » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:48 pm

It is a lot cheaper to buy a check weight most scale sales outlets will have details of where to buy check weights I have a certified 2 kg and 4 kg check weight and this allows me to set the weight on my scales accurate at the points we are measuring the yacht in question, costs a few years ago was less than £50. Also if you want to check the weights talk to your local weights and measures department for a couple of weights I am sure they would be very reasonable
Mike Ewart

Stewart Eaton

Postby Stewart Eaton » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:46 pm

I very much doubt the Finns etc in Rio are being weighed by the local authority, nor indeed any dinghies/RC/ yachts in this country. If you are serious about rule inforcement, then do it properly. Sounds like your weights are indeed reliable though!

Return to “A Class Forum”